Wednesday, February 03, 2010

My Top 5 Albums of 2009

Okay, so we're still in the first month of 2010, so I think this list is still appropriate to be released. Now, please understand. I am by no means a professional music critic, so I've just picked my 5 favorites and made a comment or two where I had one.

5.) Cory Chisel & the Wandering Sons - Death Won't Send a Letter:
I claimed on Facebook that this one should make my top 5 of the year and I stuck by it. I went on a CRAZED search for this thing (just ask Livvy) after listening to it on iTunes, but I couldn't remember the name of the band for the life of me - I could just remember the cover. It struck me as so unique...definitely wins the album cover award for 2009. I eventually saw the cover again in a random retail store and was blown away by the album itself. I had recalled my iTunes 30-sec taste-tests (as I call them) reminding me of a mellow Bruce Springsteen.


4.) Owl City - Ocean Eyes:
And the guilty pleasure award for 2009 goes to...
Um...yeah, I'm almost ashamed that this one made the list. Usually I attempt to stray as far as I can from the "mainstream" in music. I couldn't resist this Postal Service clone, no matter how popular they eventually became. I swore when I first heard them that it was Ben Gibbard singing. I actually had to look up information about the band (including photos of the lead singer) to disprove it in my head. I was lucky enough to catch their show when they played at Harding in October. My cousin Austen, who went with me, commented that the lead singer looked like the angry, embittered-by-the-world son in Wedding Crashers, and I wholeheartedly agree.



3.) Iron & Wine - Around the Well:
I was extremely close to not letting this one make the list because it consists mostly of songs composed prior to 2009, however, I talked myself into it as most of them have not been widely released to the masses...until now. ...and what a collection it is. I'm a bit prejudiced because I'm an avid Iron & Wine fan, but these songs rank up there amongst their best - not to mention that there are 23 tracks. Go buy this now at Target for $9.99. You won't regret it...unless you're the type that listens exclusively to Christian Heavy Metal or something.



2.) Muse - The Resistance:
To me, this is the most under-rated album of the year by one of the more under-rated bands in the music industry today. My friend Jimmy said that some of the tracks on the album reminded him of Queen and that I should give it a listen. I was far from disappointed. It alone persuaded me to go out and purchase 2 additional Muse albums...which were also quite enjoyable. I honestly don't know how this album isn't the most critically-acclaimed of 2009. It is simply epic.



1.) The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You:
Hands down my favorite album of the year. I think one sign of a truly great album is the desire it incubates within you for more of the same. I absolutely cannot wait for the next Avett Brothers album. I originally saw it in Target and Best Buy as I was doing my ritual perusing of the music section and noticed the striking cover. As I do with many albums, I jotted down the name of the band in my phone and did my little iTunes taste-test to see if I was interested. I was captivated by the first track from which the album takes its name. My friend Christina also recommended that I give it a listen, so I bought it at the next opportunity. Rick Rubin definitely picks winners for the albums that he produces. I'm glad they were able to spread this one to the masses. I just wish more people would give it a try. It is incredible. And if you do give it a try, and enjoy it, go buy their The Gleam EPs and Emotionalism - also awesome.




HONORABLE MENTION:
Blind Pilot - 3 Rounds and a Sound:
recent Barnes & Noble random taste-test and purchase - definitely a winner



Elizabeth & the Catapaults:
Saw this band's "Taller Children" video on Subterranean on MTV2 (a great show if you like discovering new indie music). I was honestly shocked to find that "Taller Children" was only mediocre in comparison to some of the other songs.


Pearl Jam - Backspacer:
definitely the best Pearl Jam since Ten...maybe even better than Ten


The Low Anthem - Oh My G, Charlie Darwin
very unique lead singer; very mellow album


White Rabbits - It's Frightening
reminiscent of Spoon; accidentally bought this thinking it was Frightened Rabbit (my brain during the work week in Little Rock is mush) and was not too disappointed


Fanfarlo - Reservoir
another Barnes & Noble/iTunes taste-test & purchase


Slow Club - Yeah So:
another band Jimmy pointed out to me. quite good. very under-the-radar.


Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything to Nothing
one of my favorites early on in the year. it might have made the top 5 if I had discovered it later in the year.


Monsters of Folk - (self-titled)
there's no way I could put this one on this list. it's almost unfair considering the all-star indie music super team that they've put together on this band.


Stuff I haven't listened to yet, but want to...
Girls - Album
Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz
Akon/Family - Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free

1 comment:

Deb said...

I have the Iron and Wine, and Avett Brothers. I know I like Grizzly Bear, and Owl City.